Chief Digital Officer, Schindler Group & CEO Schindler Digital Business
CIO Award Judge 2017, 2016
CIO Award Winner 2015
Speaker/Panelist 2017, 2016, 2015
The CIO Adventure: Insights from the Leadership Award Finalists (2017)
Best Practices for Managing a Digital Innovation Portfolio (2016)
Leading Digital: A Manifesto for IT and Business Executives (2015)
Michael Nilles is Member of the Group Executive Committee and Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for Schindler as well as the CEO of Schindler Digital Business. Michael is responsible globally for Digital Business, Business Process Management and Information Technology. He is based at the Global Headquarters in Switzerland. Michael’s work in moving Schindler forward with data and mobility using iOS and custom apps is featured on the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/business/schindler/
Michael joined Schindler in 2009 as Chief Information Officer (CIO) and in 2013 he also became CEO of Schindler’s Digital Business Unit. In 2016 he joined the Group Executive Committee as Chief Digital Officer (CDO) to further drive Schindler’s Digital Business Transformation.
Prior to joining Schindler, Michael was leading the different phases of digitization at Mannesmann and Bosch Rexroth AG, where he held positions as Group CIO, CIO Americas, Program Director Global SAP and IT Director Greater China. Michael started his career as SAP consultant for Supply Chain Management in the Asian Pacific region. During his international assignments he was living and working five years in China and five years in the USA.
Michael also serves on the Board of Directors of Lufthansa Technik AG.
Michael earned a master’s degree in Business Administration and Computer Science from the University of Cologne/Germany and an MBA from Kellogg School of Management of Northwestern University, Evanston, IL/USA.
“On behalf of Schindler, I am incredibly honored to be the 2015 winner of the MIT Sloan CIO Leadership Award. This is an outstanding recognition of our entire team which is taking digitization to the next level with great dedication and vigorous innovation for both, our customers and our employees. It substantiates our strategic efforts to further drive digitization in order to stay at the forefront of our industry.”
- Cybersecurity Is the Biggest Challenge to Industrial IoT Development: Schindler Digital Chief (2017-05-24)
- Firms Need Separate Incubators for Emerging Tech Projects (2016-05-18)
- What does it take to be a transformational CIO? (2016-05-10)
- What Is Driving the Digital Economy? (2016-04-07)
- Anatomy of a Transformation (2016-02-14)
- Call for Nominations: The 2016 MIT Sloan CIO Leadership Award (2016-01-19)
- CIO seeks ‘disruptive opportunities’ (2015-12-8)
- CIO is pushing the right buttons (2015-10-30)
- Five digital disruptors talk successes and strategies (2015-08-10)
- Will the role of the chief data officer eclipse that of the CIO? (2015-07-28)
- The CDO Interview: Digital Transformation at CVS Health (2015-07-13)
- MIT Sloan winner: ‘Unity of effort’ vital to digital transformation (2015-07-02)
- CVS Health’s Chief Digital Officer On Working With IT To Drive Digital Transformation (2015-06-18)
- How Can We Make the CIO Job More Appealing? (2015-05-27)
- Digital Business Models Take Shape Across–and Among–Industries (2015-05-26)
- The Morning Download: Internet of Things Opens Way for New Business Models (2015-05-20)
- MIT Sloan CIO Symposium Announces Winner of the 2015 CIO Leadership Award (2015-05-20)